Arugula Basil Pesto without Pine Nuts is made in a food processor in just about 5 minutes. It’s perfect to add to pasta, fish, meat or veggies.
Pesto is one of those sauces I find myself making when it's time to clean out the fridge. You can combine any leafy green you have on hand with basil. I decided to share an arugula pesto recipe because when I make pesto, I typically use arugula. It's my green of choice and I like the peppery bite it adds to the sauce.
Ingredients in this recipe
- basil leaves
- garlic clove
- shelled pistachios
- grated parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil - good quality olive oil is key!
- unsweetened canned coconut milk (full fat or light)
- fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper
How to make Arugula Basil Pesto without Pine Nuts?
It's as easy as throw all your ingredients into a food processor except for the salt and pepper and blend. I learned from the Food Network that you shouldn't blend spices.
How to make this pesto vegan and nut free?
Simply swap parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast and replace pistachios for hemp seeds!
More Substitution and Addition Ideas
- Replace the arugula with spinach, kale or carrot tops.
- If you don't like pistachios, use walnuts, almonds or pumpkin seeds instead.
- Use another hard cheese like Pecorino or Asiago.
I highly recommend pairing this pesto with pasta for a 20 minute weeknight meal. You can use your favorite pasta. Semolina pasta, whole wheat pasta, chickpea pasta or zucchini noodles all work!
How to Store homemade pesto
Store the pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOUR RE-CREATIONS ON IG!
DON’T FORGET TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN REPOST YOU ON MY STORY!
PIN ME FOR LATER!
Arugula Basil Pesto without Pine Nuts
- 2 cups arugula
- ¾ cup basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil - good quality olive oil is key!
- ¼ cup unsweetened canned coconut milk (full fat or light)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toss all your ingredients into a food processor except for the salt and pepper and blend. Once creamy, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pasta, fish, meat or veggies.
Did you try this recipe?
Let me know below with a comment and rating! 🙂