I used to love eggplant rollatini as a kid. It is a very heavy and rich dish. Now, my stomach doesn't feel great after eating it. Because of this, I created a delicious and easy Light Eggplant Rollatini recipe. It is completely baked without any bread crumbs. I swapped the ricotta cheese for cottage cheese and I swear you can't tell the difference. This is one of my new favorite dinners. It's easy, healthy and so tasty!
Other Delicious and Easy Recipes to Try!
Light Eggplant Rollatini
- 1 small-medium sized eggplant
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup cottage cheese I used 1% Milkfat Low Fat Cottage Cheese Small Curd - No Salt Added
- 1 egg
- ¼ + ⅛ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tbsp Italian herb mix
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 2 cups homemade marinara sauce or your favorite jarred sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into ½ inch slices. Distribute the eggplant slices onto 2 sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle ½ tsp salt over each sheet pan and spray or drizzle 1 tsp olive oil over each. I like to bake them on separate sheet pans to ensure even cooking. Bake the eggplant slices at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- As the eggplant is cooking, in a small bowl, mix together cottage cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, an egg, Italian herb mix, garlic powder and ½ tsp salt.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and stuff each slice with about 1 tbsp of the cottage cheese mixture and roll. If the eggplant slices are not easy enough to roll, cook them slighly more.
- Grab an 8x8 oven safe baking dish. Add 1 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom. Place the eggplant roll-ups evenly on top.
- Spoon another cup of the marinara sauce over the top and sprinkle ⅛ cup parmesan cheese over. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, take the foil off and cook uncovered at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and top with fresh basil and goat cheese before serving.
This nutrition information is an estimate and should not be taken as fact. The owner of this website is not liable for this estimation.
Did you try this recipe?
Let me know in the comments with a comment and rating! 🙂