This Chocolate Protein Mug Cake takes less than 5 minutes to make from start to finish. It's the perfect healthy high protein dessert!
Why you'll love this chocolate protein mug cake recipe:
It's high in protein! This single serve cake contains 22 grams of protein.
Eat it for breakfast, as a snack or for dessert!
It's great for when you're craving something sweet, but don't feel like baking!
This cake has a beautiful moist texture. Microwave protein cakes can have a dry and unpleasant texture. I made this recipe about eight times before perfecting the recipe. I do the work so you don't have to. I will add a variety of tips below.
You can make this healthy mug cake entirely gluten free. Just use gluten free oat flour and gluten free baking powder. Plus, make sure that your protein is gluten free.
- almond milk or milk of choice - Use dairy milk or non dairy milk.
- avocado oil or neutral oil of choice
- pure maple syrup
- chocolate whey protein powder - Make sure you enjoy the taste of the protein powder you use!
- oat flour - Use gluten free oat flour if necessary.
- cacao powder or cocoa powder
- baking powder
- dark chocolate chips
A complete list of ingredients, amounts and instructions is located on the recipe card below.
Chocolate protein powder recommendations:
To make this protein powder mug cake, I used chocolate whey protein powder. You can buy this specific brand at Whole Foods or from Amazon.
I tried making this recipe with chocolate vegan protein and it was more gooey than cakey. For this reason, I recommend using whey over a vegan protein. Also, vegan protein requires more liquid which throws off the ratio of ingredients.
My number one tip is to make sure that you enjoy the taste of the protein powder you use. Do not use a protein powder you don't like in this recipe. Chances are, you won't like the mug cake either.
How to make a chocolate protein mug cake:
Whisk all of the ingredients for the cake batter in a small bowl. Make sure there are no lumps.
Next, stir in chocolate chips.
Grease a small mug (I used a cappuccino cup.) or ramekin and pour the cake batter into the mug.
Microwave for 50-60 seconds until springy to the touch. (The cook time may vary depending on the power of your microwave.)
Add a sprinkle of extra chocolate chips on top and enjoy!
Make sure you use protein powder that you like the taste of.
Use whey protein powder over vegan protein powder for this recipe.
Don't substitute any other flours in place of the oat flour.
Whisk all of the ingredients together well so you don't have any flour or protein clumps.
6 ounce mugs or ramekins work great for this mug cake. I used THESE cappuccino cups. You can use a larger cup; the cake just won't fill the entire mug.
It's so easy to overcook a mug cake! You don't want rubbery cake. Check your cake starting at 50 seconds. If it needs more time, you can always toss it back into the microwave.
Chocolate Protein Peanut Butter Mug Cake - Swirl in some peanut butter on top of the batter before placing the mug into the microwave.
Funfetti Protein Mug Cake - Swap out the chocolate whey protein for vanilla whey protein and mix in sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
Protein Mug Cake a La Mode - Add a scoop of ice cream on top of the warm mug cake.
There is really no wrong time to eat a mug cake. Plus, it's filled with protein and fiber. Enjoy it for breakfast, as a snack or for dessert!
I don't recommend storing this mug cake for later. It has the best taste and texture when enjoyed right away.
Yes and this protein mug cake is a great way to add a bit more protein into your day!
Absolutely! This particular recipe contains 22 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber. It's also sweetened with unrefined sugar.
Can you put protein powder in baked goods?
Yes you can and it's a great way to boost up the protein content.
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? LET ME KNOW BELOW WITH A COMMENT AND RATING! 🙂
YOUR 5 STAR RATINGS AND WONDERFUL COMMENTS REALLY SUPPORT MY BUSINESS AND HELP OTHER READERS AS WELL.
I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOUR RE-CREATIONS ON IG!
DON’T FORGET TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN REPOST YOU ON MY STORY!
Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
- 3 tablespoons almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or neutral oil of choice - (plus more for greasing the mug)
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chocolate whey protein powder
- 3 tablespoons oat flour
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder or cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips - (plus more for sprinkling on top)
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the cake batter in a small bowl. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Next, stir in chocolate chips.
- Grease a small mug (I used a cappuccino cup.) or ramekin and pour the cake batter into the mug.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds until springy to the touch. (The cook time may vary depending on the power of your microwave.) It's so easy to overcook a mug cake! You don't want rubbery cake. Check your cake starting at 50 seconds. If it needs more time, you can always toss it back into the microwave.
- Add a sprinkle of extra chocolate chips on top and enjoy!
This nutrition information is an estimate and should not be taken as fact. The owner of this website is not liable for this estimation.